Search site

Call

020 7637 1600

Postal Testing

Online Doctor

Telephone Consult

Go Back   sexual health | hiv & std testing forum > Health Related > HIV

View Poll Results: unprotected sex
a friend false me to ve sex wit me sunday and wed last week without condom, 0 0%
He told me he had an hiv test june dis year and he didnt cum into virginal . 1 100.00%
Voters: 1. This poll is closed

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-16-2009, 04:11 PM
Unregistered

Default 4th Generation Hiv Duo rapid test

Hi

i have had a 4th generation rapid test for AG/AB by inverness determine,- my result was negative- can you tell me is this conclusive @28 days? or do i need to take futhur tests

Im cofused what i have read on the internet saying that the NHS and other uk guidelines are 12 weeks for this test- i was under the impression because its a 4th generation test POC ag/ab the result would be concluisive at 28 days and i would not need furthur testing

does this differ between lab HIV duo tests and/ hiv duo rapid rapid tests (inverness determine)- are they both accurate

acan i bee assured that this is ok now?

thankyou
Old 10-18-2009, 02:22 PM
Administrator

Default 4th Generation Hiv Duo rapid test

Hello,

Can you let me have more detail regarding the exposure and why you tested please?

Best wishes, Sean

Old 10-18-2009, 04:48 PM
Unregistered

Hello
Oral sex I was the giver and I could taste semen I had mouth ulcer, that's why I tested,
I read somwhere and it said the 4th gen duo rapid as more or less the same reults has the hiv duo blood test
Given that I have had a hiv duo rapid by determine negative at 28 days would you say this is conclusive, or do I need a hiv duo blood test

Because you haven't replied to my first post are you going to close the post after you next reply, as you haven't realyg given me any advice or information to you first reply
Thankyou
Old 10-18-2009, 06:55 PM
Unregistered

Default hiv duo rapid 4th gen test

hi

it was me giving oral, could taste pre cum, i had mouth ulcer, thats why i tested with the above- would you say its concluisive my 28 day rapid determine ab/ag test at 28 days negative

in your opinion do i need furthur papid tests/ or hiv duo blodd tests

what do you advise??

thankyou

p.s please allow to post a furthur reply to you follow up as you did not really say anything in your last post
thanks
Old 10-19-2009, 08:17 AM
Administrator

Default hiv duo rapid 4th gen test

Good Morning

I didn't say much because the information you provided was too little and yes, of course you can ask further questions. If you look at the other posts we do usually allow several.

I'm afraid I / we here at Freedomhealth don't use the Determine HIV DUO so I can't answer the question regarding the reliability compared with the HIV DUO we submit to the laboratory.

You can ask the company directly yourself by using the contact details available here.

Your exposure was minimal to zero risk in the firstplace so you probably didn't need a test.

What I can tell you is that the commercially available testing devices for HIV DUO's submitted to the laboratories will commonly identify newly infected HIV positive people very early indeed - from around 12 days or so. That may be the case for the Determine test - but agaion you will need to ask them.

Best regards, Sean

Old 10-19-2009, 09:35 AM
Unregistered

Hi
Tried to contact them no response,
Ok what would you say the window period would or could be for a 4th gen rapid tets
How soon does a antigen show on a rapid test
Woidl you say me results are conclusive now
Thanks
Old 10-19-2009, 09:39 AM
Administrator

Default 4th generation HIV DUO rapid test

Hi again,

I'm not sure why you're not getting this bit but we do not use the Determine and I cannot comment on it's reliability.

If you can't get through - try again.

Meanwhile I'll repeat this for you here:-

Quote:
I didn't say much because the information you provided was too little and yes, of course you can ask further questions. If you look at the other posts we do usually allow several.

I'm afraid I / we here at Freedomhealth don't use the Determine HIV DUO so I can't answer the question regarding the reliability compared with the HIV DUO we submit to the laboratory.

You can ask the company directly yourself by using the contact details available here.

Your exposure was minimal to zero risk in the firstplace so you probably didn't need a test.

What I can tell you is that the commercially available testing devices for HIV DUO's submitted to the laboratories will commonly identify newly infected HIV positive people very early indeed - from around 12 days or so. That may be the case for the Determine test - but agaion you will need to ask them.

Old 10-19-2009, 12:46 PM
Unregistered

hi

i contacted THT and NHS they said even the hiv duo blood test -lab one (AG/AB) DUO , they can re- assure @ 28 days but a person would need to re test at 12 weeks?
so can i ask is yours a unique test or a different one to they are using, and why is yours conclusive at 28 days

thanks
Old 10-20-2009, 08:17 AM
Administrator

Default 4th generation HIV DUO rapid test

Good Morning,

Our website says that overall the HIV DUO test is 99.89% accurate or more at 28 days post exposure to HIV.

The standard 3rd generation HIV test will be 99.99% accurate at 12 weeks. You will appreciate that is a difference of 0.1%.

The UK Guidelines on HIV testing from September 2008 state that a 4th generation test - the HIV DUO - should be used as the test of choice across the UK. The Guidelines go on to say that the reason a 4th generation test is preferred is because it reduces the interval between infection and detection to one month. This is approx 1 to 2 weeks before sesnitive 3rd generation tests will identify HIV.

The Health Protection Agency says exactly the same in its HIV testing algorithm where its says that if there is a negative HIV DUO at 28 days then that can be regarded as complete at that point except where there has been a definite exposure to HIV and the person is showing classic symptoms which might be considered to be HIV realted. This means that if you know the person you have had penetrative sex with is HIV positive, and you develop or are developing at the time the cardinal signs of early HIV disease then you should retest at one week.

I understand what you have said regarding the THT and the NHS. My view and that seemingly of all published authorities on this is that the approach taken is ultra conservative and not necessary - except in the circumstances referred to above.

You, as I've said before, did not have an exposure of any interest HIV-wise.

best wishes, Sean

ps I am now going to close this post.

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: